Sunday, December 22, 2013

The architectonic photos of Lauma Cenne



From the Oxford English Dictionary:

architectonic

Pronunciation: /ˌɑːkɪtɛkˈtɒnɪk/


adjective

  • 1relating to architecture or architects.
  • 2(of an artistic composition) having a clearly defined structure, especially one that is artistically pleasing:the painting’s architectonic harmony.

My friend Lauma Cenne, who is part of our text'art group, is a wonderful photographer. On a recent trip to Latvia she took many photos of the people and places of her parents' homeland, and she has generously offered to let me use some of them for my Cityscapes series. This is a first for me, as I have always relied on my own photography as a basis for my work. 


So much of the beauty of Lauma's photos comes from the textures of the old buildings: the crumbling brick, the peeling paint and the rusted metal. which I cannot replicate in fibre. But I am inspired by the interlocking forms of the buildings, the juxtaposition of old and new, the variety of shapes and the rhythm of the repeated elements.

I am excited to see what I can do with your images, Lauma!



No comments: