Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A visit to Prague







Having spent a few days in Prague this week, I can say with certainty that its beauty is inescapable. One can hardly turn around in the Old Town, the New Town or the Little Quarter without viewing an ideal subject for a photograph.














When taking these photos, my goal was to capture the intersecting roof lines, the small, medium and large shapes, the rhythmic patterning of the windows: all the elements that I look for in my cityscapes.









A skilled photographer would have played with the mix of surfaces: the brick, the tile, the stone, the stucco, much of it bearing the patina of time and wear.

A student of architecture would have catalogued the thousand years of building styles evident in the "City of 100 Spires."

A historian would have listened to the stories that the buildings, the roads, and the town squares have to tell.




I was grateful to capture some images that I might be able to distill down to their essences of shape and line.

And thankful to have three days in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.












2 comments:

Maggi said...

What beautiful images. I look forward to seeing how you transform them.

Anonymous said...

Familiar roof-lines! Very much looking forward to seeing the next crop of inspired textiles emerge from under your black-threaded needle!