Sunday, September 24, 2017

Expo 67 Live!


The McCord Museum, the Stewart Museum, the Centre d'Histoire de Montréal,  the Musée d'art contemporain à Montréal: so many venues this summer celebrating our World's Fair, Expo 67, staged 50 years ago.

But this is the one that captures the real excitement and spirit of the event. Imagine yourself in a large, rectangular courtyard, surrounded by multiple screens of all sizes. The sun has just gone down, and the sky overhead is darkening. Images begin to flash on the screens, accompanied by the lively music of the sixties. It is impossible to take it all in. You stand in the centre of the space, surrounded by hundreds of people, turning again and again as new images capture your attention.

Just as the visitor to Expo 67 was continually diverted by new sights, sounds, tastes and experiences, so the viewer of this film is beguiled by ever-shifting visuals that evoke novelty, energy, and the diversity of the human experience.

Produced by the National Film Board of Canada, Expo 67 Live runs for only two weeks, ending September 30. We can only hope that it returns next summer. 

For more information, please visit the website.

2 comments:

Vickie Wheatley said...

I remember visiting Expo 67 with my family. My dad and his brother both had "travel trailers'" or campers. Our 2 families traveled from Kentucky up through New York City, Maine, and into Canada for Expo 67. I remember thinking the exhibits were amazing, and would love to see Expo 67 Live. My most vivid memory however, is that my Uncle made a U-turn with his car and camper in New York City. My dad, of course, followed right behind. I'm sure I remember it mostly because of my Mom's reaction and those New York City horn blasts that followed us down the street!

Heather Dubreuil said...

You paint a vivid picture, Vickie.

Yesterday, my daughter asked me, "What was Expo 67?". When I answered that it was a World's Fair, it didn't mean much to her, so I elaborated. "It was as though we had two Epcots in Montreal, for six months, and 50 million people came to see it." That made an impression on her.