Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Finished baby quilt

As promised, here is a photo of the completed traditional baby quilt. This is what it looked like before it was washed, in all its flat perfection.

The colours were chosen to coordinate with the nursery wallpaper,
a large, elegant floral in neutrals. I threw in a little pink to "lift" it a bit.

Made entirely from my collection of fabric scraps (except for the newly-purchased backing), even the binding is a mix of this and that.


More than 500 triangles went into this 40" x 40" quilt.

I chose to quilt it on my domestic sewing machine, using a design called "continuous curves", which doesn't require any marking. It was surprising to me how all the traditional quilt-making techniques still seemed familiar, though it's been some time since I last used them.

The quilt took on a slightly "puckered" appearance after washing. And it still needs a label, hand-stitched into place on the back. Ta-da!



4 comments:

Margaret said...

A real classic look -- with a modern feel. Lovely!

Heather Dubreuil said...

Thanks, Margaret! I enjoyed making it, and I love using up some of that fabric I have amassed over the years.

Miss Iowa said...

I love the puckered look! It gives a quilt character.

Heather Dubreuil said...

I agree, Miss Iowa! It's just the nature of the medium, isn't it?